“The Chief Captains Hold a Council of War - 28th Year”
The strategy used by Moroni to capture the city of Mulek is outlined in the following diagram.
- Teancum marches near the seashore, retreats northward (v. 22).
- Moroni marches in the wilderness on the west of the city of Mulek (v. 22).
- The Lamanites pursue Teancum (vv. 23–24).
- Moroni takes possession of the city of Mulek (vv. 25–26).
- Moroni Marches with part of his army to meet the returning Lamanites (v. 26).
- Lehi, with fresh men, marches from Bountiful to meet the Lamanites. The Lamanites fled (vv. 27–31).
- The Lamanites battle, but throw down their weapons (vv. 32–38).
- Many prisoners taken back to Bountiful (vv. 39–40).
Many lives were saved. Moroni did not delight in the shedding of blood. Freedom was maintained for the Nephites, and many Lamanites, although prisoners, were exposed to the real and righteous Nephite culture.