Alma 19:36 Textual Variants
and we see that his arm is extended to all people who [will 1ABCDEFHIJKLMNOPQRST| G] repent and believe on his name
The 1858 Wright edition dropped the modal verb will here in Alma 19:36, but the first RLDS edition (1874), following the 1840 edition, restored the will to the RLDS text. Either
reading, with or without the will, works in this context, as exemplified elsewhere in the text:
- 2 Nephi 30:2 save it be with them that repent and believe in his Son
- Alma 26:35 to those who will repent and believe on his name
- Helaman 7:23 save it be unto those who repenteth of their sins
- Helaman 12:23 blessed are they who will repent and hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God
- Helaman 13:11 blessed are they who will repent and turn unto me
- Helaman 13:13 but blessed are they who will repent
- 3 Nephi 18:11 unto those who repent and are baptized in my name
In each case the critical text will follow the earliest textual sources; thus here in Alma 19:36 we have “to all people who will repent and believe on his name”.
Summary: In accord with the earliest textual sources, maintain the auxiliary verb will in Alma 19:36: “to all people who will repent and believe
on his name”.